- ATTENTION -
The Ben Lomond Transfer Station is now open for business. Non-burned refrigerators can be scheduled for pick up at no charge by calling GreenWaste at (831) 426-2711. Food must be removed from fridges and either placed inside the trash cart or placed in a bag, not to exceed 60 pounds, as an extra item next to the cart for collection. Refrigerators containing spoiled food will not be accepted. Also, place only household items into your curbside carts. Fire damaged items are considered hazardous and cannot be placed in curbside carts. Please visit the County's Fire Recovery Website for more information regarding the CZU Fires and the Debris Removal and Rebuilding processes.
Note: You may have fire debris on your property but did not have any structures burn. You may take this debris to the Ben Lomond Transfer Station or Buena Vista Landfill without a certificate from the Santa Cruz County Environmental Health Division. Call 831.454.5153 or 831.336.3951 for more information.
Santa Cruz County Recycling & Trash Services is responsible for the operation and administration of solid waste diversion and disposal in the unincorporated area of the County. We operate the County’s two solid waste facilities, the Buena Vista Landfill west of Watsonville and the Ben Lomond Transfer Station in the San Lorenzo Valley.
Recycling & Trash employs 49 operations and administration staff who are dedicated to providing quality service to the general public. We collaborate with local non-profit agencies to carry out community public education and waste reduction programs.
We are charged with many public service
- Operation of landfill and transfer station disposal and recycling services and household hazardous waste collection
- Development of programs designed to meet statewide diversion goals and other mandates, including the diversion of food waste and other organic material
- Implement the County’s Zero Waste Plan designed to achieve a 75% reduction in landfill disposal by 2010 and additional reductions in future years.
- Landfill design and engineering
- Liaison and reporting to a variety of state and federal agencies regarding solid waste facilities compliance and pollution control programs
- Heavy equipment fleet maintenance
- Administration of garbage and recycling collection franchise services
- Advance planning for future solid waste and recycling programs and facilities including implementation of the County's Integrated Waste Management Recovery Plan